As one of the most demanding and regulated industries, healthcare providers are faced with a growing number of administrative challenges that continue to drive down operational efficiency and patient satisfaction.
As most business leaders across all industries start to take digital transformation as their #1 priority, healthcare organizations are facing an increased pressure to speed up adoption of emerging technologies that will help overcome traditional administrative challenges and enable them to put patient care above the common operational hassles of managing back office processes that are heavily manual and time consuming.
KEY CHALLENGES IN THE DIGITAL AGEWhen healthcare providers have to deal with organizational challenges like patient data management, insurance and billing paperwork, electronic health records systems, legacy systems, and more, it leads to the increase of monotonous tasks that doctors, nurses, clinicians, and admin staff have to spend time on in order to provide the care a patient needs.
Some of the most common challenges crippling the healthcare providers include:
- Continuous digitization of patient records
- Lack of integration and support for multiple EMR (Electronic Medical Records) systems
- Data regulation & compliance
- Budgetary pressures
- Lack of admin and IT personnel
- Clinical staff need to reduce patient care time for a growing EMR data entry and update tasks.
- By 2025 there will be 2.5 clinician to 1000 patients in the Unites States
- 1 Physician will manage and average of 20,000 documents per year
- A Clinician performs an average of 4000 clicks in the EMR every shift
- Most Hospital systems have 2-5 EMR with no internal HIE to support them
RPA has evolved from performing only repetitive task automations to now completing end-to-end processes that can help boost productivity and reduce errors in complex health IT environments.
HOW RPA IS TRANSFORMING HEALTHCARE
- Improve patient experience
- Boost operational efficiency
- Better Health IT interoperability
Healthcare Automation with UiPathBy 2019, UiPath has been name the leading RPA platform by top industry analysts, including Gartner, Forrester, and the Everest Group.
With RPA unattended robots, UiPath estimates up to 60% of tasks completed by healthcare professionals can be automated and up to 95% of claims management tasks for healthcare payers can move faster and completed more accurately with RPA.
With its latest 2019 Fast Track Release it has created significant improvements that will benefit the automation of healthcare processes, including:
AI Computer VisionUiPath solves one of the biggest challenges in healthcare automation today - automation in Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) environments. Meaning robots can visually identify components of systems like EHR/EMRs and hence minimize efforts when system upgrade changes previous user interfaces (UI).
Unstructured DocumentsHealthcare professional manage a wide array of complex documentation that is often in unstructured formats such as PDF files, making it difficult to find and extract relevant data from lengthy clinical packets.
With UiPath, HCPs can now automate processes involving PDF files by dragging and dropping a new PDF activity into their automation flows. Enabling them to quickly orchestrate automation of claims processing by tagging unstructured documents to claims.
EMR AutomationUiPath integrates with all major systems in the healthcare IT ecosystem, providing organizations the ability to automate processes in EHR/EMR systems like Epic, Cerner, Allscripts, Meditech, eClinicalWorks, MicroMD, and many more.
Some of the main benefits that UiPath provides in EMR automation include:
- Integration of information from patient portals, wearables, lab results, and health apps with EMR
- Data gathered from EHRs, warehouses, and other systems to gain insights for providers to a diagnosis and best practice for care
- Expedited insurance approvals and automatic determinations of patient eligibility. Relevant data pulled from a a EHRs to provide evidence for care processes and potential costs
- Expedited patient registration, admissions and discharges, as missing information is found in other systems
- Document Management systems: OnBase, McKesson, CioX.
- Patient access systems: SwiftQueue, ElementBlue.
- Claims operation systems: Facets, Nasco, OpenConnect
- ERP systems: SAP, Oracle, Siebel, Salesforce, Workday, etc.
LEARN MOREIf you are interested in learning more ways UiPath can help you boost operational efficiency and provider better patient care, we will be hosting a joint live webinar with UiPath this June 27th 11AM EST / 2PM PST to demonstrate the multiple ways healthcare provider organizations can benefit from the Robotic Process Automation technology.
You can register here to attend the live webinar or to receive a copy of the recording.
If you're attending the Healthcare Industry User Group (HIUG) Interact conference next week, don't hesitate to stop by our booth, or attend one of our sessions on RPA and Healthcare. See more details here.
Last, if you are ready to get a hands-on experience of RPA and learn how to build your own robots, then check out our 'Take Home a Robot' workshop roadshow, where we will be visiting major cities across the US, hosting a free workshop for business and IT leaders across all industries to learn how RPA can be applicable to their business and enable them to build their first software robot to take home and start automating day-to-day tasks. Learn more about our workshops schedule here.